Sunday, February 21, 2010

Outer space pancakes!

The last time I was at my grandma's house (about three weeks ago?), I was perusing a Williams-Sonoma catalog and happened to comment aloud about some outer space pancake molds ("Oh, how fun!").

If you know my grandma at all, you wouldn't be surprised to learn that on Thursday, a box from Williams-Sonoma showed up on my doorstep! I actually left it by the door forever, not able to figure out what I'd ordered, thinking maybe it was an early birthday present that I shouldn't open. After we returned from a Costco shopping trip that night, it dawned on me, so the boys and I ripped it open and found the outer space pancake molds. Danny and Isaac were VERY excited. So I promised pancakes in the morning.

Of course, they were a bit of a pain in the butt. And mine do not look nearly as pretty as the ones that Wiliams-Sonoma shows, but whatever. We loved them. And the recipe was absolutely delicious.

 
  
  
The last moon and planet got a little brown--there were a couple little boys who felt like fighting all morning and Mama got distracted.

Now for the delicious recipe:

Outer Space Pancakes
2 eggs, beaten until frothy (I think this was the secret)
 
2 C flour, sifted (I used all soft white wheat, of course)
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3 T sugar
1 t salt
 
21/2 C buttermilk (had none, so I used sour cream watered down slightly--wouldn't have ever known!)
4 T melted butter
1/2 t vanilla
 
Beat eggs, set aside.
Whisk together dry ingredients.
Stir everything together, but just until it smooths out. Don't over beat. 

YUM! I think these could have been soaked, too, of course I'll plan on trying it in the future.

1 comment: