Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ei hackele

This is essentially an egg salad, but way better than the stuff I normally make. Ei is German for "egg", and the "hackele" part refers to something being "chopped very small." (Chris, or Karin, correct me if I didn't convey that quite right...)

Christmas morning, after opening gifts and stockings, I had planned to make pancakes, but somehow Chris came up with this dish and wanted it. So...I made it. His Grandma (wait, Oma!) used to make this for him and apparently together, Chris and I came up with a pretty close approximation.




I don't measure, so I can't give exact measurements here. Mainly, add everything to taste! If you use my approximations, definitely start on the lower end and add as needed!

For our family, here's what I used (there were no leftovers, and I probably could have eaten another!):
  • 7 eggs (4 were medium, 3 were large), barely hardboiled--with a little bit of runniness to the yoke
  • extra-virgin olive oil--2-3 Tbsp
  • white wine vinegar--1-2 Tbsp
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • finely chopped parsley--about 2 Tbsp
  • finely chopped green onion--half of one
  • pinch of nutmeg
Chris' grandma actually used chives where I used parsley and green onion, so if you have those, by all means use them!

I mashed up the eggs with a fork, very well (this is supposed to almost be a paste-like consistency, but that kind of grossed me out, so I kept it a little chunkier).  Add everything else and your done!

In Germany, they eat this open faced on toast (which we did Christmas morning), but I think I'll also be making this in lieu of the mayo-cloaked egg salad sandwiches the kids and I sometimes eat. Much healthier, much tastier!

1 comment:

  1. This looks good too. We've been doing mayonnaise for egg salad, so we'll have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete